Saturday, September 29, 2012

Born Again Twice Fundamentalist Atheist

I consider myself to be a born again twice fundamentalist atheist. In my mind there are two general categories of Christian in this world (although their is a great deal of disagreement even between these two generalized groups). The first group believes every single word is 100% accurate and true. If the bible says it happened then it had to happen. The second group of Christians believe the bible is partially mythological in nature. They believe in the divinity of Jesus, but they might not believe in Adam or Noah.

The problem I have with the first group is that they have to believe some pretty ridiculous things. Like Balam's talking donkey and angles having sex with humans. They also have to believe God is a good and loving being in spite of doing horribly cruel and down right evil things to his creations. Things like killing 42 children for calling a man bald, or killing 70,000 innocent people because King David took a census, or even worse sending his own creations to burn in hell forever if they find they can't believe in a God who at one time could flood the world, but these days his best miracle is appearing on toast.

Talking Donkey - Good idea in Shrek, bad idea in a Holy Book

The problem with the second group is that the bible traces Jesus' lineage all the way back to Adam. Jesus himself makes references to Noah as if he was real. Some of these Christians even see Hell as a metaphor. They will happily tell you all about how God is love while dismissing all his evil and cruelty. They will cherry pick there way through the bible. The problem with this is that if part of the bible is untrue the entire book has to be cast in doubt.
In this blog I plan to write about the bible, Christianity, other holy book and religions in general. I will tell you why I no longer believe. I will not censor any ones comments but I will argue with you about them. I'll respect your right to an opinion, but I won't always respect the opinion itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment